Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Scenic Route to Brazil

So, with less than 24 hours to go to my departure, I get an sms from Qantas on Friday morning advising that my flight has been delayed by a day and would be departing on Sunday morning instead of Saturday morning due to ash from the Volcano in Chile.


Michele (a fellow #ibmcsc participant) who was scheduled to leave 4 days before me, was still having her flights rescheduled daily and had not yet departed Australia.


Taking this as precedent for flights going to Buenos Aires and the likelihood of getting to Brazil about a week late, I contacted Qantas and inquired about alternative routes going via Santiago or LA. After much to-ing and fro-ing and a lot of pleading on the phone, I finally managed to talk them into re-booking me on a flight to Dallas and then onward to Buenos Aires. This would put me at my final destination of Porto Alegre only about 24 hours late instead of 1 week late. 
My flight path now being Melbourne> Sydney> Dallas> Buenos Aires> Porto Alegre.


I am at the halfway point right now... sitting in the airport at Dallas, waiting for my connecting to Buenos Aires and then onward to #Brazil. Hoping that that volcano has taken its last breath and the airport at Buenos Aires has reopened. 
Still have another 24 hours or so of travel time left .. so wish me luck !

No comments: