Saturday, October 18, 2008

Week 6 at Pumamarca and my farewell

Lunes, 13 Octubre
The usual... Ingles with the 1st and 2nds. We were still doing numbers and going through the alphabet. This is a slow process and it looks like the new vols are going to have to take up where I left off .. which is at the letter ¨G¨.

Martes, 14 Octubre
Construction day.... today the females were touching up the murals on the walls while the male volunteers moved mud bricks around. That was pretty much it for most of the day....

Miercoles, 15 Octubre
All good things must come to an end........
It was my last day up at school and my last day teaching Ingles to the 5th and 6th graders. We planned to have a revision class for the day and went through ¨My family¨and ¨Body parts¨ in english. This topic had already been covered in April, but we found that a lot of the students were still struggling with constructing full sentences about their family so we had to go through it all again. After hygiene and sport, I was called into the 4th grade classroom for my farewell. I haven`t done any English with this grade but I`d done most of their Phys Ed. classes. I had kept myself busy and tried not to think about it for all this time... but as I entered the class and saw all the kids looking at me the tears started flowing. The director and the students all sang a song on the Panoramic view of Pumamarca and then the Sheep song. Romario came and took my hands and got to me to dance with him while the rest sang. The director gave a speech and I got flowers and hugs from all the kids..... and I promised them all I would be back soon to visit.

In the afternoon it was my last round of house visits in the community....
We set up two beds for a family of 6 (they had 4 kids sharing a bed before) and then we went in search of Arturo and Asunta.
As part of the Project for Life program, I will be sponsoring Arutro. This means that I will be contributing a set amount of money each month to the program which will be used for his and his mums welfare. I had been shopping the previous day for goodies for both Mum and son. So, I was introduced to them formally as the Madrina (Godmother) and I handed over the presents. Arturo was thrilled with his araña hombre (spider man) tee-shirt and ran off to show it to his friends. Asunta gave me about 20 hugs and made me promise to return..
Next visit was to the house of Luis and family. As mentioned in a previous post, me and 3 others were at the impromptu inaugration of the house Luis is building and therefore became Godparents of the house by default. Even though it has been inaugrated, the house is not completed yet due to lack of funds. As there was still some funds leftover from what I had raised in Australia, I decided to donate it to Luis` house. They informed us that they would like to put in the doors and windows next... so we went up to get the measurements. The money should be enough for the door and at least 1 or 2 windows. I also found out that Luis` wife- Martha is 21 and they have two kids. They all came came and hugged me and Luis` ran off again to get me a present- some of his own handiwork which is really amazing...
Thank you again to all my friends, family and colleagues for your donations....
Click here for the rest of the photos from my last week in Peru here

No comments: